Thursday, July 11, 2019

Saturday - June 22

Coast-to-Coast Michigan gravel race
 - 211 miles
 - 13:54:02
 - 4682 ft. of elevation
 - 15.2 aveMPH
 - aveHR 140
 - maxHR 175
 - 12,858 calories burned

What an experience.  My goals were to finish, race the sunset (15.5 hours) and possibly sub-15 hours.  Smashed all expectations. 

I lined up near the front, but not on the front, probably 8 rows back.  425 riders started.  After the neutral roll out the first 5 miles through the mud bog the lead group took off and were moving.  I knew enough to grab a wheel and hang on for the ride.  A what a ride it was.  Roughly 80 of us in the pack/peloton however you wish to describe it rolled to the first aid station check-point at mile 53 at about 20-mph.  I've never ridden in such a pack before, let alone on gravel roads and at this speed.  The effort felt moderate when tucked behind everyone so I went with it.

At aid #1 I knew I wasn't going to stay with the top guys all day and I had already planned to eat a full PB&J sandwich, a full can of Coke, 1 orange, 1-2 salt tabs and restock the 3-4 gels, 3 water bottles with Heed and 1.5 liter Camelbak w/ water I carried.  I also re-lubed the bike chain, reapplied sunscreen and chamois creme each stop.  Josie made sure I completed all my planned food and aid station tasks.  She did an amazing job of having everything set up and ready for me.  She made the ship run smooth all day.

Heading out of Aid#1 is was solo but settled into a comfortable pace while I kept a lookout for a group to join as I knew working together would ultimately help us all get there faster.  It took about 10 miles to gather 5-8 riders moving at more or less the same pace.  We'd trade off pulls on the front while we rehashed the first 53-mile blitz we all experienced.  At one point I got boost of motivation and started pulling hard as our group charged ahead gathering and/or passing multiple riders.  I pulled for about 10-15 minutes before relinquishing duties.  I earned a lot of praise and respect for that effort and they allowed me to pass on pulls the rest of the way into Aid#2 at mile-106.  We covered the first 100-miles in just under 5:30, I believe this is a PR century for me, and on gravel.  Wow.

At aid#2 we again repeated all of aid#1 with the addition of an additional drink.  Section #3 was known to be the hardest/most technical riding.  Aid station time was averaging 15ish minutes.  Again I rolled out solo and passed a few guys I'd grouped with but never saw them again.  I soon caught up with another rider and we rode together for a bit.  He had completed the Dirty Kanza XL (350-miles gravel race) just 3-week prior.  We spoke about our ultra-distance ventures and how smooth and steady wins the day.  After a few miles I eventually pulled away and caught another guy whose gps unit had died and I helped him along with directions. 

Eventually we entered the Manistee National Forest area and the more technical double track 4x4 and snowmobile trails. Soft sand and water holes became the norm here.  At first this was great fun and super enjoyable to be in the shade and on a slightly different surface.  After 20-miles, and now 150 total miles, fatigue was showing up.  Sections that would have been easily rideable earlier were a challenge.  Some were completely hike-a-bike sections as the sand was ankle deep and/or on an incline.  Even though it was a struggle, it was some of the most beautiful trail and scenery all day.  Definitely a place I'd like to ride again but on my mountain bike.

I was happy to hit Aid#3 after 164-miles and took some extra time to rest and eat here before the final 50 miles.  I was still in great spirits and knew I'd easily beat sunset so I did not take my planned headlights or cool weather riding gear.  Left solo again and quickly passed numerous riders and everyone at this point was going in and out of individual sections of misery and fatigue.  Most were in pairs either by design or chance.  I pressed on and eventually joined another rider, Phil Pryor, that we'd ridden together between aid#1-2.  We made a pact to stay together until the finish.  Trading off pulling in front while the other went through their bout of suffering.

I never thought I'd be so happy to see smooth blacktop in my life, but those last 8 miles into downtown Ludington, MI were very nice and fast.  8-miles seems like nothing but after 200+ miles they felt like forever.  And then an SUV almost backed out into us less than a mile from the finish.  Hard breaking and communication in our group of 4 made for safe passage and a couple of jokes after the fact. 

After crossing the finish line I was shocked to see that we went sub-14 hours, something I never considered at the start.  I'd definitely do this race again.

No comments: