Monday, July 30, 2018

Sunday - July 29

Ohio Half Ironman 70.3
 - Delaware, Ohio

1.2 mile Swim
 - 58:57
 - no wetsuit
 - this beat me up.  I went in with great confidence and was thinking sub-50 minutes was very possible.  I learned I likely need to sight more in big crowds.  I didn't get into a rhythm until the last 750 yds.  The additional body contact was throwing me off and then I ended up with a half-ass side breaststroke or what I found to be a more efficient side stroke.

Transition #1
 - 4:25

56 mile Bike
 - 2:32:20
 - 22.03 aveMPH
 - my goal for the day was to average 22 mph.  The course was super flat and we had hardly any wind which made for fast times.  unfortunately without much terrain to navigate, we were on the pedals and not moving around on the bike much.  I was very tired of sitting in the aero position after 30 miles.  I just wanted to get off the stupid seat, but I managed.

Transition #2
 - 3:57

13.1 mile Run
 - 2:10:46
 - 9:51 pace
 - I felt very good and ran a steady race from start to finish.  I knew pushing hard on the bike was going to cost me, but I kept it under control and didn't need to force anything.  Very happy with how my lower body continues to improve in the run durability category, it is definitely making a difference.

Total Time: 5:50:24
 - a 7:18 PR from Muncie 2 years ago but still lots of time left to improve upon in the water and some on the run.
 - crazy to think that 2-years ago this was an 'oh crap can I do this event' and now I take one-day off and put in a decent time.  The evolution continues, now to learn how to rest.

No comments: